Bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.                                           
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)
More contacts
Contact us
  • How to apply for consent

    It is your responsibility to obtain consent before making a discharge to the public sewer network. Discharging trade effluent without consent is a criminal offence

    To apply please download and complete the relevant form from the related downloads column. For more complex discharges (eg, greater than five m3/d) please contact your local trade effluent officer first. 

    When applying you will need to provide:

    • details of your company/partnership including the ownership and location of the trade premises
    • information on the nature and composition of trade effluent. It may be necessary to provide chemical analysis of the effluent
    • the maximum daily volume of trade effluent to be discharged
    • the maximum rate of flow.

    Drainage plan

    You will also need to provide a detailed site drainage plan showing:

    • all drains and manholes - those carrying trade effluent should be coloured in red
    • a suitable sampling point marked on the map
    • the point where the private drains connect to the sewer, if appropriate. Please note a new connection to the public sewer requires approval from developer services.

    Plans may be sketched although a more detailed plan must be provided if requested by us.

    We maintain records of public foul and surface water sewers but are not responsible for private drainage. If you are unsure about your own drainage system you should arrange a drainage contractor to carry out a survey and provide a detailed site drainage plan.

    Granting consent

    We will grant or refuse consent within two months of receiving your completed TEN. Please note that if we fail to issue consent within this timescale, this does not give you "deemed" consent to discharge.

    It is rare for us to refuse consent but we we may have to if:

    • there is no spare capacity in the receiving sewers and treatment works
    • the effluent or premises pose unacceptable risk to our staff or infrastructure.

    If an effluent does pose a risk or problem we meet with the company to discuss ways forward. We may require the company to install some sort of pre-treatment or environmental risk control measures before the effluent can be accepted by the sewers.

    Short term discharges for up to six months are subject to a temporary trade effluent agreement - see consent conditions for further information.

Popular questions
Popular questions
Close this message