Bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.                                           
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)
More contacts
Contact us
  • Need to know

    If you switch to a meter, the following terms and conditions apply:

  • Assessed charge

    If we cannot fit a meter, we may be able to offer an alternative called an assessed charge. This is an annual charge based on the number of people in your property. An assessed charge can only be applied if it is too expensive or physically impossible to fit a meter. Assessed charges will apply from the date of the survey.

    Communal services

    If your property is supplied via communal or shared services, we may be unable to provide a water meter. In the case of multi-occupancy premises, such as a block of flats where separate meters cannot be installed sensibly, we will install a single meter producing a single bill if an individual or company accepts responsibility for payment.


    If your property is built before 1966, incoming metal water pipes may be used as an earth for electrical systems. Fitting a water meter to your supply may mean that this system will no longer work. If you are in doubt about how your property is earthed contact a qualified electrician for advice. If work needs to be done, you will have to pay for it and may wish to consider this when deciding on whether to apply for a meter.

    Final unmetered bill

    We will automatically stop charging you on an unmetered (rateable value) basis from the date your meter is fitted. If you owe us any outstanding unmetered charges, we will send you a final unmetered bill or reset your payment arrangement. Any money we owe you will be refunded to you when your new metered bill is set up. Your existing payment arrangement, ie, Direct Debit, will be transferred to your new metered account. The payments will be adjusted to reflect your estimated bill.

    Free fitting

    Your meter will be fitted for free provided it is practical to fit one and the cost of fitting will not be unreasonable. When we fit your meter, your water supply may be turned off for a bit. If we fail to fit your meter within 30 working days of receiving your application, we will stop your unmetered bill at that point. We will not start your metered bill until the meter has been fitted. This does not apply if the delay is at your request or that of a third party.


    When we fit your meter we check for leaks and we'll repair one on your service pipe free of charge under our household customer leakage policy. Our leakage policy for businesses differs.

    It's a good idea to check your meter readings regularly for unusually high water use. If you think you have a leak, see  Looking out for leaks  for more advice.

    Water in the meter chamber doesn't necessarily mean there is a leak - the chamber allows rainwater and water in the soil to get in.

    Meter accuracy

    The meter is manufactured and tested to a British Standard specification (BS 5728/1) and International Standard (ISO 4064/1). If you think the meter isn't recording accurately, you can ask us to test it. If the meter is recording accurately, you'll be liable for the cost of the test which will be no more than £70 plus VAT (total £84). If we find a fault and this has affected your readings, we'll revise your bills based on your normal usage level.

    Meter ownership

    The meter remains our property and we are responsible for its maintenance, repair and eventual replacement. If you damage the meter or any device connected to it, such as remote reading equipment, you will have to pay the repair or replacement costs. Tampering with the meter is a criminal offence.

    Meter readings

    We will read your meter every six months if you are a household customer provided we can gain access to it. If we send you an estimated bill, you can submit an actual meter reading online . If you have a meter we recommend you check it regularly - see  Find and read your meter .

    New water supply connection

    If you are applying for a meter for a property you are building or an existing property being split into flats or separate units, you need a new water supply connection.

    Non-return to sewer

    Your metered sewerage bill is based on 95% of the water you use returning to the sewer. The 5% allowance covers all household use, eg, drinking, cooking, watering the garden and washing the car as well as taking into account wet and dry years. If you think that considerably less than 95% of the water you use returns to the sewer, you can apply to have your charges reduced. To apply email  with a completed non return to sewer claim form (see related downloads)  and reference number.

    Reverting to unmetered

    If you are a household customers who has had a meter fitted, you may want to go back to paying on an unmetered basis. This option won't be available after you've been billed for two years on the meter charge. If you do go back to unmetered charging, you'll have to pay for water and sewerage services used up to date. We won't normally remove the meter.

    Sewerage services

    You may be on the border of our area and receive your water supply from us and sewerage services from another provider. If so, we'll forward details of your water use to the other company so your sewerage charges can be billed in relation to the volume of water on the meter.

    Shared pipework

    If your property shares pipework with others we may have to do some work to make sure we fit the meter where it will measure your water use only and that we can read it. We may need to install a device that allows us to read the meter remotely. 

    When it's impossible to put the meter outside, we may have to fit it inside your property. If so, we'll normally need access to read the meter twice a year unless we can fit a remote reading device. Where we can't gain access to read a meter, we may have to go back to charging on an unmetered basis.

    In some cases it may be too expensive or physically impossible to fit a meter. If so, we may offer you another way of charging - see assessed charge.


    If you're a tenant and want a water meter, we suggest you contact your landlord before applying. If you have a fixed term tenancy of less than six months, you can't request a meter without your landlord's approval. You will need to send us copies of your landlord's written permission and tenancy agreement. Other types of tenancy may not need approval.
Popular questions
Popular questions
Close this message