Bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.                                           
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)
More contacts
Contact us
  • Surface water drainage

    The sewerage charge you pay includes the cost of removing and treating surface water.

    This is the water that falls on your roof or the hard paved surfaces of your property such as a driveway or patio.

    The surface water is taken away via a surface water sewer or a combined sewer.

    If you are unsure whether you are connected to the public sewer, you can check where the rainwater from your gutters discharges.

    If there is a sewer nearby you may find evidence of this, such as a heavy duty manhole cover. If this is the case, it is likely that surface water from your property drains directly to the sewer.

    Apply for an allowance

    If you can prove that the majority of the rainwater from your property doesn't drain to a public sewer you could be entitled to a reduction in your sewerage bill.

    To claim, you must prove that the majority of rainfall:

    • from your roof or shared roof drains into a soakaway at the front and rear of your property
    • from your garden, drive, patio or yard runs off into the ground.

    Your claim will be unsuccessful if:

    • you use a water butt but have no soakaways
    • rainwater from your roof runs indirectly to a sewer, eg, across a pavement, driveway or hard-paved areas.

    It is free to make a claim and you can do this by completing our form.

    Apply for surface water drainage allowance

    Need to know

    • The average amount of the allowance is £20 per year for a household customer. For unmetered customers the amount varies according to your rateable value.
    • If you are entitled to the allowance it will be backdated by six years* or to the date you became responsible for charges for the property* or to the date the property was disconnected from the company sewer system for surface water*.
    • You are not entitled to an allowance if you have don't have soakaways but use a water butt to collect water from your roof.
    • If you are eligible for the allowance, it will be deducted automatically from all future bills for that property.

    * whichever is most recent

Popular questions
Popular questions
Close this message