Bills and accounts

0345 600 3 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.                                           
More contacts

Water supply and sewerage

0345 600 4 600

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (emergencies only at other times)
More contacts
Contact us
  • Trade effluent

    If your business is discharging non-household sewage (trade effluent) to the public sewer, you will need to obtain consent from us.

    From large food and drink manufacturing sites to car washes and laundrettes, there are more than 1,200 consents issued to businesses in our region.

    Mobile businesses such as car valeting services and cleaning operations (stonework and fire damage) need consents along with businesses who are carrying out cleaning operations including vehicle washing.

    New developments should also ensure they apply for consent in advance of the discharge starting to ensure our infrastructure has available capacity.

    Consent is required because trade effluent discharges from business and industrial premises can have harmful effects including damage to sewers, sewage treatment processes and watercourses.

    Discharges above five cubic metres (m3) per day generally require a full consent.

    Short term discharges such as chemical cleaning of chilled and hot water heating systems require prior authorisation but may not require a full consent.

    Discharges that do not require consent include:

    • household sewage, ie, waste water from toilet flushing, hand basins, showers and canteens
    • sewage from certain types of businesses such as schools, restaurants, takeaways, holiday parks and nursing homes.

    If you are unsure whether you need consent, call 0345 600 4 600 and ask for a member of the trade effluent team.

    If your business generates waste that you would like tankered away, please email our organic waste team or call 01225 524560.

Popular questions
Popular questions
Close this message